Learn > [RWS #580] Karen Owen-Lee on Senior Living Options
The Baby Boomer generation is so large, it’s needs have driven the economy for over 60 years. When they were babies, the need for diapers escalated. When they were teenagers, chips and pizza companies flourished. When they went to college, tuitions increasesd. When the got married and bought their first homes, housing boomed. And today, they are entering retirement age. What does this mean for the economy and for housing?
My guest today calls herself “The Senior Expert.” Karen Owen Lee completed her Masters in Gerontology from Pennsylvania State University and then went on to work with seniors in five states and over 40 retirement communities. She is the author of The Caring Code: What Boomers Need to Know About Seniors.
I invited Karen onto the show to help us, as real estate investors prepare for this “Silver Tsunami.” And, as a Baby Boomer myself, I wanted to ask her some questions about how to slow down my own aging process, and also how to assist my aging mother.
- How to plan for the care of an aging parent
- The fundamentals of caregiving for a loved one
- The hidden costs of care and housing options
- 6 steps to write a family action plan
- How to handle difficult conversations with an aging parent
- How to maintain your job while caring for an aging loved one
- When is the right time to talk about additional care for an aging parent?
- Ways that corporations can support employees with aging parents
- Five tips on how to assess if your parent needs additional care
- Tips for self-care when you are the caregiver
- When is a Will not enough?
- Creating a legacy with a family book of memories
- Self-care tips for millennials who are having to take care of an aging parent